Sunday, June 2, 2013

Blog #3 - Made in China



Made in China

You may be saying to yourself "Oh my goodness, is he going to talk about China again?"  My apologies, but there is a reason for it.  In my first blog, I discussed the uncivilized acts conducted in China as they have progressed through the years of evolving in civilization.  In my second blog, I discussed China's allowing Buddhism to thrive.  In this blog, I will be looking at China in a different manner on how they have have progressed in free trade and the market.

In the opening line of Chapter Nine, the author wrote "China will be the next superpower"; which he cited from a British article written in 2006.  (Strayer, page 241)  I found this to be excellent item to write about after reading the chapter and from my own personal experience.

From the book itself, I was not aware how influential China was in world history.  I knew it had a rich history within it's own borders, but I did not know it also extended beyond those borders.  In an early chapter, I learned China is recognized as having one of the First Civilizations in history with the Shang Dynasty. (Strayer, Page 59)  In Chapter Nine, I learned how much of an influence China had in early world trade.  Called the "Silk Roads" (Strayer, Page 219), it described a trade route that extended from China to the Mediterranean and the Middle East.  It earned its name because one of its primary products traded along the route was silk; which was at the time manufactured only by the Chinese.  Its significance was its creation of a tie between civilizations without forced compliance, where cultures were shared or viewed by others.  This road later expanded to other avenues of trade, including the "Sea Road" and the "Sand Roads."

I am in my early 50's.  When I was growing up, I remember China as the "Sleeping Giant;" given its name due to it's strength in numbers.  Their numbers served them well when other countries tried to take over, including Japan during World War II.  Their strength in numbers also served them well in manufacturing.  With the largest population in the world coupled with a low pay rate, China was able to create and sell goods at an incredibly inexpensive rate.  However, their technology, during my younger years, took a back seat to other industrialized countries.  I vividly recall as a kid in the 60's looking at where a product (usually toys) were made.  Those made in China were usually made of cheap materials and did not last as long as products made in other countries - especially the United States.

This image has slowly changed over the years.  In the early 60's, China became the latest country to have successfully detonated an atom bomb - and if my memory serves me correctly, the number of countries with this ability is still less than ten.  Technology was made huge strides.  Just yesterday, I was looking at LCD/LED televisions.  I noted a new brand called Haier.  I had seen this name on other appliances, but never knew its origins.  Looking it up on Google, I learned it is a company based in China and is surpassing the quality of other leading manufacturers.  Again if memory serves me correctly, a great deal of steel used in the new Bay Bridge was manufactured in China.  In addition to manufacturing, China is also a major player in the world of commerce, where even the United States has many loans backed by the Chinese.

The next superpower?  I think China is already there and is a "Sleeping Giant" no more.

         

No comments:

Post a Comment