Sunday, June 23, 2013

Blog #6 - Industrial Revolution


The Industrial Revolution

In Chapter 18, Strayer writes about the Industrial Revolution.  He specifically discusses the United States as it went through this phase during the 19th Century and the early part of the 20th Century (Strayer, Pages 542-545).  I owe a lot to where I am today thanks to those who paved the way during that time.  Jobs were created both directly and indirectly (i.e. - higher production of cars resulted in the need for more mechanics, car salesmen, and distributers); which led to huge profits for the owners and investors, but little for the workers.  Unions were created to ensure a fair share in the "pie" for workers.  I found it interesting to read from Strayer that one of the main points of the Union organizations was that they were relatively conservative and focused on skilled laborers rather than unskilled laborers (Strayer, Page 544).

Although there have been abuses on both sides, overall it has been a model that works and has helped millions - including myself.  Unfortunately, in my opinion, I believe we have strayed from a model that works to a model that could lead to our decline.

My first job was at the age of 14 as a paperboy for the San Francisco Chronicle.  I would put in approximately 14 hours a week and would earn approximately $60.00 a  month - equating to approximately $1.00 an hour (14 hours a week times 52 weeks divided by 12 months equals approximately 60 hours divided by $60.00 equals $1.00 an hour).    Back in 1976, the minimum wage was $2.50 an hour - a difference of 250% which would have had a big effect on the company's bottom line.  Nowadays, "paperboys" similar to 1976 no longer exist; instead, adults in vehicles drive around in cars and throw the papers outside their windows on to the driveways.  The skills and work ethic learned by young kids have since given way to mass mailing.

When I turned 17, I began to work temporary jobs at the then minimum wage of $2.65, and continued to do so until I landed my first regular part-time job as a salesperson earning the new minimum wage of $2.90.  This first regular job was also a Union job requiring me to join the AFL-CIO (American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations).  From there I went on to work both union and private company jobs until I landed a job that I enjoy and have worked for over 28 years.

This brings me to my concern we have strayed from the original goals and intentions.  I believe we have progressed to the point that we maintain minimums regardless of the circumstances and the persons skills.  We no longer have the "paperboy" jobs or the lemonade stands (they do not meet health codes) to teach us basic skills (scheduling, customer service, etc.).  We no longer look at minimum wage as a stepping stone to financial independence, but rather to look at the wage to meet minimum standards of living.  We also seem to no longer differentiate between skilled and unskilled labor.  I believe once we realize this, we can then move on to the next Era in (our future) history.  

No comments:

Post a Comment