Friday, July 5, 2013

Blog #8 - Fundamentalism


Fundamentalism

Let me begin this blog with the statement that I strive to keep my biases and prejudices in check, and make a lot of decisions after considerable thought (time permitting).  With that said, I am going to discuss Muslims and Islam.  So why the disclaimer?  I can honestly say I have friends who are Muslim that believe in Islam.  I respect their faith as much as they respect my own (catholicism).  What concerns me deeply are the actions of a small segment within their society that affects the image of the many.  I chose this topic after reading the section related to fundamentalism on a global scale (Strayer, Page 740).

A few weeks back we discussed, Muhammad Ibn Abdullah, one of the great seminal thinkers of the Classical Era and the heartbeat of Islam; which began when he had revelations that were later recorded in the Quran.  His messages were regarded as the "words of God and the core of their faith" (Strayer, Page 304).  In class, while discussing the different thinkers, we learned the jury was still out on whether the religion of Islam is that of stability or revolutionary change.  Based on events that have directly and indirectly affected me and others over the years, I would have to say that is a fair assessment.

Even after the 1300+ years Muhammad has been gone, his teachings continue to bring positive change to those who follow the same beliefs.  The five pillars of Islam, which forms its foundation, talks about praying five times a day towards Mecca, professing one's faith to Islam, giving alms, fasting during Ramadan, and attempting a visit to Mecca in one's lifetime.  No where in there in the five pillars does it state to do anything extreme against those who do not share the same beliefs.  Yet here we are 1300+ years laters and there continues to be turmoil in the regions where Muslims live and where the religion of Islam thrives.  I remember back in the late 70's waiting in line for hours to buy gas because of the instability in the region.  Then there is the Iran Hostage crisis, the bombing of the USS Cole, the bombing of the World Trade Center and the planes crashing into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, and Arab Spring.  Fast forward to today in Egypt where the President, who was backed by the Muslim Brotherhood, was ousted from office by the military.  Each of these events had, and have, an impact of peace in the region where they occurred and to the entire world.

So as to not be unfair to Muslims and the religion of Islam, I have to admit we of Christian faith are not exactly pure either.  Weren't there atrocious acts during the Crusades and the Inquisition in Europe, and haven't we Americans who believe in God also been involved in improper acts over the years?  In my opinion, maybe the difference is that Catholicism has moved past the stage of revolutionary change and has essentially reached a level of stability (also noted in class) , whereas the Nation of Islam is still working towards that next step.  I just hope it happens sooner rather than later - for the good people of Islam, and for those the actions affect.

No comments:

Post a Comment